MOB (Man over board)
First prevent it by following these 2
ALWAYS wear your safety harness on deck.
One hand for you, one hand for the boat.
- Shout "man overboard , man
- One person point the finger on the victim
stop looking at him.
- Throw the safety buoy.
- push MOB on the GPS.
- Record heading, and stop the boat by
turning into the wind Keeping the genoa until the other crew member are
- Circle the victim until he grab the safety
line, or the water generator line.
- Stop the boat : roll the Genoa, lay down the
main. Check there is no line overboard besides the safety line.
- Start the engines, lower the swimming
- Pull up the victim by the rear safety
platform. Take care of the victim looking for hypothermia
- Count everybody specially by night.
- Take care of the victim and check everything
is all right.
- Resume sailing at reduced speed to
stabilize the boat and prepare ht drinks.
Fire on board
- Shout " Fire , Fire " to
- Try to extinguish immediately.
- Location of the fire extinguishers:
- On the galley facing the companionway
- Below the chart table
- At the foot of the mast in the hallway.
- Inside front shower cabin.
- Inside the generator shack.
- Below the galley floor for Starboard
- Below the chart floor for the port side
- Sound Alarm to wake up everybody.
- The life vests are always stored at the
same place inside the front shower cabin. Nevre move tem unless to use
them or for exercise.
- Do your best to save the boat.
- Control the damages and look for what can
- The captain takes the decision to abandon the
- Send a MAYDAY from the SSB,
and note position on the GPS.
- Gather the abandon drums with red top,
recover portables VHF's; flashlights, first aid box, food, water fishing
spear and arrows, fishing's gear, and repair sail box.
- Throw the life raft.
- Gather additional equipment foul weather
gear, diving suit.
- NEVER QUIT A BOAT WHICH IS STILL FLOATING
for a life raft or without an order from the captain.